Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Cut and Paste

One of the easiest mistakes to make when you're writing something out in longhand or typing is to double a pair of letters or drop one pair of such a set when that pair is echoed in some way. I've seen in print such typos as "millillion" for "million"; the second "-i-" seems to trigger a whole new round of ells.

What do you know about "The Sims 2"? It's an appallingly addictive computer game in which you manage the lives of little artificial people; build them houses, get them jobs, arrange dates, basically shepherd them through their little artificial lives. I get so attached to them that I can't bear to kill them off; in the normal course of things they get old and die, but there are ways around that (they can earn a life-extending "Elixir of Life", or you can just turn off the aging process altogether, which is a problem if they have kids, which will then never grow up). My Sims don't die.

Right. So I was playing this morning--it's my day off--and one particular Sim, who's in the field of medicine (there are ten career tracks, including Slacker and Criminal), had just graduated from Intern to General Practitioner. Or that's what I thought. Due to some incomprehensible slip-up in an otherwise highly polished and vetted game, his job title is actually General Practioner. Someone was typing just a little too fast, that second "-ti-" got lost (because his or her brain thought for a microsecond, "well, there's '-ti-', now on to the rest of the word"), someone else missed it in the editing process, and there it is, on the screen for all to see.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frank said...

That's really going to bug you, Pyramus. You'd better either kill him off or get to the next level (whatever that is) before you go mad!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger pyramus said...

Fortunately, I didn't have to kill him off. I could have had him change careers (you can look for a new job using the newspaper, which is delivered free every day, or with a computer.) Or I could have gotten him to quit his job, leaving him with no income until he got another job or moved in with someone else and let them support him. Or used the easel to make and sell paintings (they sell for more and more money as your Creativity level improves). This is a very open-ended game.

Anyway, the next level, Surgeon, was quickly attained (and correcly spelled). I just can't quite believe that a typo made it into an EA game, although I haven't read every word of text everywhere in the game and I suppose it's possible that there are others.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home