Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

True Lies

Satiric fake newspaper The Onion doesn't seem to be as funny as it used to be, though maybe I'm just becoming jaded: but it's still usually good for a laugh or two every week. My favourite thing this week:

Copy Editor's Revenge Takes Form Of Unhyphenated Word
BOSTON—Bruce Huntoon, a copy editor at Pilot magazine, intentionally did not correct the copy of columnist Justin Mann Monday. "I am tired of that insufferable asshole's mean-spirited jokes," Huntoon said. "So, when he described the carburetor warmer as a 'twentieth century' invention, I decided to leave the copy untouched and let him deal with the consequences of his actions. The fucker." Huntoon said the unhyphenated compound modifier is the most extreme step he has ever taken, adding that he drafted a resignation notice that he will hand in should his superiors notice the omission.

For what it's worth, yes, copy editors really do take such things this seriously (see?), and yes, they're pretty much all just as deluded about other people's opinions of the importance of correct spelling and punctuation. Unfortunately.

1 Comments:

Blogger pyramus said...

It is good, isn't it? And the funny thing is that I'm totally on the (fictitious) copy-editor's side: I would just as soon copy-edit a novel as write one. No, wait: on reflection, I would much rather copy-edit a novel than write one.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home