Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Drawing a Blank

I got nothin' today. Nothin', I tells ya!

In the car on the way to work today--we rented a car for the long weekend, only to find that I'm working both Saturday and Sunday--the word "ceramic" came up, and I made a mental note to look it up on the premise that it might be interesting, but it isn't. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

At work itself, I was just too busy to even think about whatever it is I usually think about that leads to a blog entry, and then we went out for supper and there weren't even any typos in the menu. Heading home, no hilariously misspelled signs along the way. As I said, nothin'.

There's this, though. From "Joe My God", a blog that Jim reads but I don't (I have nothing against it, but the day has only so many hours in it and I already spend three, maybe four hours a day in front of the computer and a man has to draw the line somewhere), two appalling typos from a photo display at the Masonic Temple in Manhattan. "Sky scrappers" and "eletric streetcars", indeed.

There's a lesson in this, Masonic Temple photo-caption writer(s), and the lesson is:

If you do not hire a proofreader to comb through and correct your very public utterances, you will be deservedly humiliated in a very public way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony Pius said...

Had you simply declared Saturday a wash and held out until Sunday, you would have received this chunk of inspiration from Salon's "I Like To Watch" column (by Heather Havrilesky):

"...I'm still holding out hope for NBC's "Studio 60" (10 p.m. Mondays) (and no, I don't think that Amanda Peet's Jordan McDeere is colorful or believable enough to fit the bill of strong but complex female heroine, although she's head and shoulders above most of the other cupie dolls)."

I think she's decided that "kewpie" is an abbreviation of "cutie pie" and simply lopped off letters to make it fit. On the other and, I haven't checked the etymology, and she might well be right.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 11:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home