Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

But Is It Art?

This is the front cover of an advertising pamphlet for a company that makes wooden mouldings and decorative pieces.

Yeah, that does in fact say "Artisitic", which is, I suppose, something like "parasitic" only, you know, artier.

In case you were thinking, as I originally was, that it was just a simple slip of some typesetter's finger, here's the back cover:

Yeah, there's "Artisitic" again. In case you were thinking that the company's name actually is the illiterate "Artisitic Woodworking", here's the inside front cover:

Yeah, that's "Artistic", as it should be. (Although they did misspell "and" as "adn".) And if you want further proof, here's the company's website, with "Artistic" spelled correctly in the upper right-hand corner.

What I want to know is how a fuckup this monumental came to be. It's an expensively produced, full-colour publication meant to sell the company's products: did it not occur to anybody at the company that correct spelling--of your company's name!--is crucial for putting across a good impression? (It's the first thing young aspiring job-seekers are told about their résumés.) Did they not have a computer with a spellchecker in it? Did they just not care?

And am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Think so if you want, but if I can't count on a company to attend to a minor thing such as spelling (of their own name!), then I can't assume that any instructions they give me about the use of their product will be correct, either. Attention to detail in the way you present yourself or your products to the world fosters trust: it's that simple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home