Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Monday, June 29, 2009

Saturation

It's raining outside right now. Not a torrential downpour, but if you went out in it without an umbrella, you'd get pretty wet pretty quickly. I'm not looking forward to going out this morning, but I have to get to work somehow. Thank goodness for umbrellas. It's not often I wish I had a car, but days like this....

Here's a screen capture from The Weather Network's website. I took it about three minutes ago. It's dated 5 a.m., so: pretty recent.

Light rain now, rain in the morning, rain in the afternoon, showers in the evening, showers overnight.

And then, at the bottom, the kicker:

We don't expect any precipitation from Monday Morning and Monday Overnight.

Are they using some arcane definition of "precipitation" that I don't know about?

No, probably not. It's just a badly coded website, that's all. Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing and all.

Now, wouldn't you like to know where the word "precipitation" comes from? Sure you would. "Pre-" is from Latin "prae-", "forth, forward, before, in front of", and the rest of it comes from "caput", "head", so to act precipitately originally meant to rush headlong into something, and eventually to simply fall into it, and eventually the word "precipitate" meant just to fall, period, as rain does. ("Precipice", something steep from which you might fall, is related.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home