Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Inside Scoop

As usual, I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep, and, failing that, playing a game on my iPod touch, specifically one called iMafia: one or another of the other players had a username that was some variant of Corleone, the surname of one of the main characters in The Godfather, and it occurred to me that I had never thought about its etymological derivation, since it looked like a word that ought to be decomposable. "Leone" looks like and almost certainly is "lion", I thought, and "cor" looks and sounds like French "coeur", "heart", and so--ta da!--the whole thing must mean "lionheart"!

Which it does.

A moment's further reflection--and I may already have known this, but it was three in the morning--suggested that "cor" must be the source of English "core", which, after all, generally means the heart or the innermost part of something, and this, too, was the case.

That's all I got.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home