Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Hard

I don't know about you, but I actually had come across the word "marmoreal" before, as I did last night in an article about some steroidally hyper-developed bodybuilder, and somehow had never even bothered to look up its definition. Did I just gloss over it? How could I have gotten though a paragraph containing the word "marmoreal" and not actually understood what it meant? Because whenever I see the word, I get this image in my head of some freakishly large-eyed creature like a tarsier

so I am guessing what happened is that somehow in my head the words "marmoset" and "arboreal" got jammed together. Don't you think?

But "marmoreal" has nothing to do with animals in trees. It actually means "having the quality of marble". The Latin word for "marble", see, is "marmor", which the French somehow turned into "marbre" (which they still use), and the English marble-mouthed into "marble".

1 Comments:

Blogger Elise said...

Swedish (and also Norwegian, Danish and German) still use the word 'marmor' which for some time I confused with the Swedish 'mormor' for maternal grandmother.

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home