Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Awareness

Altogether too often you hear or read a rather defensive theist claiming that atheism is a religion, to which the usual response is, "Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour", or "Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby". The point is that atheism isn't a thing, it's the lack of a thing--the lack of belief in a god or gods. Atheism can't be a religion because it doesn't have a core set of beliefs, most certainly not the belief in a supreme being or power of some sort, which is the usual definition of a religion.

Nevertheless, someone has come up with an atheist bible, and it's delightful. The scriptures are commendably brief: Book Four, Chapter Two reads, in its entirety, "Reality rocks, and you have only one life. Make the most of it."

However, if I may put forth a couple of quibbles....What am I saying? Of course I may. It's what I do.

Books One through Three use in their title the made-up word "cogniteratii", which is clearly based on Latin "literati", "literate people: intellectuals", and is the plural of "literatus". Note that "literati" has only one terminal "-i". "Cogniterati", formed from Latin "cognitus" (from "cognoscere", "to learn"), likewise ought to have only one "-i" at the end, not two.

As far as I know, anyway. I'm not particularly schooled in Latin.

Here's something I do know for a fact, though. The title of Book Four contains the word "congnition", and that's a typographical error in any language. It may get a staggering sixty-eight thousand Google hits, but it's still wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home