Cephalogenic

or, stuff that I dragged out of my head

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Typo Graphic

Every now and then I mention that there are certain word or things you don't want to misspell if you don't want to look like a complete moron. People might not notice if you misspell "Manhattan" or "deciduous", but they are almost certainly going to smirk if you get "misspell" or "education" or "intelligent" wrong. If text might be construed to refer to itself or its surroundings in some way, then you had better be very sure, even surer than usual, that you haven't messed it up.

So if you're publishing a book about typography, specifically a book about letter-spacing, word-spacing, and typographic design, you do not want the cover to look like this:

I suppose this particular image could have been made up as a joke, and if so, it's a good one: it fooled me. But I think it's real, and what's more, "Finer Points in the Spacing and Arrangement of Type" really is a real book: see?


I suppose I should also mention that in the bad version of the cover, "arrangement" is misspelled as "arrangment", which, despite the American predilection for deleting the "-e-" in such spellings as "judgment" (in preference to British "judgement"), is not and never has been correct, never once in the whole history of English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home